Enjoy a season of home-grow vegetables and fruit.
Now is an ideal time to think about growing your own food – not only does it taste great but it can save you money too.
What would you like to be eating in the coming months? There’s nothing better than harvesting and eating your very own home grown produce!
Our team have put together some helpful tips to get you started!
Easy vegetables & fruit for beginners
Starting to grow you own can seem a little intimidating at first but it doesn’t need to be. Start off by considering what vegetables and fruit you and your family enjoy eating. Our experts have put together a list of vegetables that are great to start with:
- Sugar Snap Peas
Use vertical space
Growing your own doesn’t have to take up huge amounts of your garden our outdoor space. Here are just some ideas on how you can use the vertical space –
- Fix planters against the walls You can buy purpose built or make your own wall planters to grow a multitude of plants that will thrive in this space.
- Train fruit trees against walls or fences (also know as espalier training) – a great space-saving way of growing fruit. Once established they require very little pruning.
- Use hanging baskets – an easy way to grow trailing veg or fruit plants. And it keeps them away from the slugs!
- Garden Towers – Consider stacking pots or purchase a ready made towers that you can plant trailing veg such as tomatoes and beans
Other handy tips…
- Whilst seeds are cheaper if you are a beginner consider buying plants to save you worrying about germination, frost protection and more.
- Choose a good quality compost to get the best results.
- Keep picking Runner Beans, French Beans and Courgettes. This will encourage them to keep cropping, and ensures that the veg is picked when it is sweet and tender.