Autumn & Winter
No matter what the time of year, there are always jobs that you can be doing in the garden. Here are some ideas of what can be done in the coming months.
– Clean out any debris in your greenhouse that could harbour any pests over the Winter.
– If the Summer has left patches in your lawn now is the time to consider repairing them with lawn seed or new turf depending on how bad they are.
– Cut back any perennials that may have died down.
– Check over any plants that are moving inside for pests and diseases and treat accordingly.
– Raise any pots or planters where possible to avoid any waterlogging in wetter weather.
– Distribute farmyard manure over vegetable patches. This will rot down over the winter months enhancing and restoring the natural properties that the soil needs for Spring.
– As the weather cools consider insulating your greenhouse to minimise the heat loss and keeping your plants healthy. An easy way to do this is through the use of bubble wrap.
– Prune Apple or Pear trees that are open (not trained against a wall) now, to get the best out of them next year.
– Hang bird feeders in the garden for hungry birds. Hang them near roses to encourage them to also pick off unwanted pests at the same time.
– Begin prepping for your Spring borders, plant your chosen Spring bulbs into large containers full of compost to fill any gaps that you may have. It’s also a good idea to have a plan of how you want your spring borders to look when buying these.
If you need any help or advice please visit us instore or call one of our experts!
Contact one of our team for more info on 01327 354 126
Fax: 01327 359 751
Sun: 10:30 am-4:30 pm
A gem amongst garden centres, several visits later i’m still going back, so convenient.
Me and my daughters love coming to Bells. It is better retail therapy than any clothes shops!! The staff are always friendly and helpful. Well done!
I have only been to your venue once recently but found it very inspiring.